Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How to adjust the rear hatch on a 1989 firebird

Customer Question

how to adjust the rear hatch on a 1989 firebird
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paid by PayPal my $18. I lost you at that moment from my computer. I hope that I am paid up with you and will still get help.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

not much available on this. here is what I can find

1. Prop the lid open and place a protective covering along the edges of the rear compartment opening to prevent any damage to the painted surfaces.
  2. Use a 13mm socket to remove the nuts holding the glass to the hinge.

CAUTION

Do not attempt to remove or loosen the gas support assembly attachments with the lid in any position other than fully open as personal injury may result.

1. While a helper supports the glass, disengage the gas supports from the lift window assembly and disconnect the harness connector for the electric grid defogger, if equipped.
  2. With the aid of a helper, remove the lift window assembly from the body and place it on a protected surface.
  3. Position the lift window assembly to the body with the aid of a helper. Install the attaching bolts and torque to 11 ft. lbs. (16 Nm).

CAUTION

Do not over tighten the glass-to-hinge bolts as it could cause the glass to break resulting in personal injury! Always wear safety glasses during this operation.

1. Connect the harness connector for the electric grid defogger, if equipped, and connect the gas supports to the lift window assembly.
  2. Lower the lid and check alignment.

ADJUSTMENT

The rear compartment lift window assembly height, fore and aft and side adjustments are controlled at the hinge-to-body location. This area of the body has oversize hinge attaching holes in addition to the hinge-to-body spacers. Adjustments at the hinge location must be made with the gas supports disengaged. Additional height adjustment can also be made at the lower panel by adjusting the rubber bumpers. Bolts holding hinge-to-body should be tightened to 15-20 ft. lbs. (20-28 Nm).