FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Pontiac aztek wont shift from park. Bcm and btsi have been

Customer Question

Pontiac aztek wont shift from park. Bcm and btsi have been changed. Battery light stays on when with car off and key removed. It also has a battery drain
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. Does the shifter appear to be stuck in park? Is there a clicking from the shifter when you press the brake pedal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to both
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no click from the brake pedal, only from the shift lever button. The brake lights also work.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. So the shifter makes a clicking noise when you push on the brake pedal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. It sounds like you may have an issue with either the shift lock solenoid or a problem with the circuit. If you have a voltage meter I can run you through a series of tests. Most of the time the wiring to the solenoid breaks in the console.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a volt meter
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Have you checked to see if the BTSI fuse has power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its good along with the sol fuse
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Then we need to check the power at the brake light switch. We need to know if there is voltage at the brake switch wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the brake lights work doesnt that mean the switch is good? What wire do I need to test? The plug at the shifter has battery voltage in the purple wire and ground on the black wire. What should the green wire read, along with the remaining wires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a click from the brake pedal now. I rechecked the btsi fuse and it was bad again. Still no shift
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

If you have voltage and ground to the solenoid on the shifter then the solenoid should be releasing. If you remove and reinstall the connector on the solenoid does it make any noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. No noise
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Can you measure the resistance of the solenoid with an ohm meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From where to where? But yes, that is posible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had it shifting. It no longer is. I believe it is because the ground wire is pinning its self out of the connector when its plugged in. Do they sell replacment pigtails for the btsi?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

You should be able to get it at the dealer. If you cannot find one let me know and I will recommend an online source.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the wire to stay in place. The battery light is on with the key removed along with some interior lights. Could it be the ignition switch? Is the switch supusto be able to turn backeards? This one does not
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

When you say backwards do you mean back beyond the off position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Beyond wherevthe key can be removed
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. No, it should not be able to move backwards. Either the ignition switch is failing or the body control module is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the BCM. Today it wouldnt turn over. I let it sit all day then hooked the battery back up and it started like nothing was wrong. Sound like the ignition switch?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

It really does sound like the ignition switch unless there is a strange short in the wiring harness someplace.