GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 plus years. experience as GM technician, ASE Master Technician and GM Certified.
70078276

I have a 2006 g6 4 cyl the tech 2 doesn't have a function to

Customer Question

I have a 2006 g6 4 cyl the tech 2 doesn't have a function to invalidate all fobs and I can only program one fob as apparently allslots are full
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

After programming the fob, the Tech 2 should give you the option to continue and program another fob. Does it give you this option?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it says you will hear a tone and then you can program the next one is says you can program up to four so mine is obviously at the max with no future to invalidate
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Even if you don't hear a tone, try programming next remote anyways. Does it accept the other remote?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no and I can start over and program the second remote and it unlearns the first one so I know both remotes work
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

It should hold four remotes in memory. Sounds like the remote control door lock receiver is malfunctioning and only storing one remote in memory. If this is the case then the remote control door lock receiver would have to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is holding four already but my point is the tech two doesn't show the option to invalidate all if you look in SI there is a bulletin that says you should be able to invalidate. obviously the rcdlr is working or I wouldn't be able to program at all
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Do you have another vehicle you can check the operation of the Tech2 for reprogramming and invalidating key fobs? I know that this should be an option, either invalidate all key fobs or just add a single transmitter, but we need to narrow it down as to whether it is the Tech 2 malfunctioning or the door lock receiver.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked it with tech 2 win and had a friend check it with his tech 2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it needs to be elevated up to Tac but as I am no longer a GM dealer I don't have access
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

If both Tech 2 act in the same manner, this points to the problem being in the vehicle, specifically in the remote control door lock receiver.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The key fob programming function is in the bcm not in the rcdlr
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dave I think we have an issue with goofy programming by Gm I don't think replacing the rcdlrwill fix the problem
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Bob

Here is some info.

All transmitters that are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode, all previously programmed transmitters will be erased upon receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter.

The tone comes out the left front speaker does it work?

The RCDLR is under the Rear Window Shelf Trim Panel Replacement.

I have had some I had to unplug to reset them

The TECH2 up to date?

Let me know if this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tone does work on the first transmitter I will unplug the receiver and them I will connect the battery cables together overnight I will let you know what I find out. But I don't remember an option to program the reciever
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 year ago.

The RCDLR goes through the BCM to program the remotes.

Are you sure both remotes are good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can program either one but only one in other words it deletes one when I program the other. As if the veh has hit the limit of 4 but there again it does not give me the option to invalidate all
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 year ago.

Normally when you program the remotes. Once you learn a new one it invalidate all the slots.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This PI says I should have the invalidate function
PIC4077A
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 year ago.

I see it. What version is your tech 2?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using tech 2 win and I just renewed my license and updated the same day I tried programming I will have to look to see exactly what it is but if will be later as I had some minor foot surgery and will have to have my wife get it for me
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 year ago.

I have had tech win not work on some things.

Also try building a 2007 instead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it with my buddy's tech 2 as well also tried building it as 2007 already.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 year ago.

Post me your VIN#

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1G2ZF55B664239717
fob Part # *****
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 year ago.

I looked there is no programming for the BCM or RCDLR.

If unhooking the battery and touching the cable don't help.

I think you have a bad RCDLR.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try it tomorrow
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 year ago.

I wish I had better answer for you. Ether BCM or RCDLR

I was wondering if going into BCM setup you may find something there? That may reset the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to look in the bcm I have read that you can enable remote start on this car and I remember it has data in the remote start history I wonder if it has been turned on and since I am using standard fobs it is causing an issue. I will let you know
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 year ago.

I found some info on TECH2 output controls see if you can change how many keys can be programmed?

May find it in BCM or DIC

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't find it in the Dic even reprogrammed the radio left the battery cables connected together overnight nothing has changed I guess I will just live with one remote
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI I added two keys today with no problem
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 year ago.

Looks like you got it?

Did it invalidate all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't get it still can't program more than one remote that has been the issue all along
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I thought you meant remotes not keys.