Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

The check traction, check brakes and check gts lights cone

Customer Question

the check traction, check brakes and check gts lights cone on at the same
times. this occurs at different times.
its a 2003 Pontiac grand prix with about 77,500 miles on speedometer.
is this serious or just something that happens? It was on all the time until
I updated the year and date on the odometer.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.

These lights will come on when a fault is detected with the traction control system.In most cases this can be a wheel speed sensor that is sending an incorrect signal causing this here needing replaced.This disables anti lock brakes when these lights are on but you will still have normal power brakes.The vehicle can be driven like this but it is best to have the fault codes checked with a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with the anti lock brake computer as well as engine computer to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and correct this fault.In allot of cases the scan tool is left connected to the vehicle and the vehicle driven to then use the scan tool to view the wheel speed sensor signal data to check and see which sensor is sending an incorrect signal as this is the sensor needing replaced.The only time these come on like this here is when a fault has been detected needing diagnosed and repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.