Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Got an 08 g6 last month, no remotes, so i installed simple

Customer Question

got an 08 g6 last month, no remotes, so i installed simple 3d party remote to open doors, 3 wires under dash. Had new tires and tpms sensors installed. tpms light still on, no tire pressures on dtc. shop told me i needed factory remote. i bought remotes online, took to locksmith, was told their computer says rke in car not responding. took to chevy dealer, was told that person who installed 3d party remote disconnected the factory one so could not program tpms. not true. i disconnected nothing. was also told you cant program tpms on 08 g6 with dtc on radio. manual says you can. i replaced the rke receiver today. now no more tpms trouble light. can i program the tpms sensors through radio like in the owners manual or not? thanks.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

If I am reading it right, you now have a working RKE, which means you should be able to program it the following way:

TPMS Matching Process for Vehicles with Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) 1. Set the parking brake. 2. Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off. 3. Press and hold the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's lock and unlock buttons, at the same time, for about five seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn sounds twice indicating the TPMS receiver is ready and in learn mode. 4. Start with the driver side front tire. The driver side front turn signal also comes on to indicate that corner's sensor is ready to be learned. 5. Remove the valve cap from the tire's valve stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for about eight seconds. The horn chirp, can take up to 30 seconds to sound. It chirps one time and then all the turn signals flash one time to confirm the sensor identification code has been matched to the tire/wheel position. 6. The passenger side front turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5. 7. The passenger side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5. 8. The driver side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5. 9. After hearing the single horn chirp for the driver side rear tire, two additional horn chirps sound to indicate the tire learning process is done. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF. If no tires are learned after entering the TPMS learn mode, or if communication with the receiver stops, or if the time limit has expired, turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and start over beginning with Step 2. 10. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label. 11. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

If the RKE still isnt working, then program the following way:

TPMS Matching Process for Vehicles without Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) 1. Set the parking brake. 2. Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off. 3. Using the Driver Information Center (DIC), press the INFO and Set/Reset buttons at the same time for about one second. Then press and release the INFO button until the TIRE LEARN? message displays. 4. Press and hold the Set/Reset DIC button for approximately three seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn sounds twice to indicate the TPMS receiver is ready and the TIRE LEARN ON message displays. The driver side front turn signal also comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. 5. Start with the driver side front tire. 6. Remove the valve cap from the tire's valve stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for about eight seconds. The horn chirp, can take up to 30 seconds to sound. It chirps one time and then all the turn signals flash one time to confirm the sensor identification code has been matched to the tire/wheel position. 7. The passenger side front turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 6. 8. The passenger side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 6. 9. The driver side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 6. 10. After hearing the single horn chirp for the driver side rear tire, two additional horn chirps sound to indicate the tire learning process is done. The LEARN COMPLETE message displays if all four tire positions are learned. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF. If no tires are learned after entering the TPMS learn mode, or if communication with the receiver stops, or if the time limit has expired, the TIRE LEARN? message displays on the DIC. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and start over beginning with Step 2. 11. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label. 12. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Remotes do not work. DIC does not go to tire learn. This is no help.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

sorry, I assumed when you installed the RKE receiver that it was now working. I will opt out as I dont know a DIY method in your particular situation. If another expert does, they will post here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric:Thanks for the response, but your info looks like what the owner's manual says, which has not been working for me.I was hoping one of the experts was aware of (a) an applicable technical service bulletin, or,(b) whether the dealer that told me you can't really set the TPMS without a remote was wrong, or,(c) if there was something else I was overlooking, like someone swapped the radio, so the driver info center would not set the TPMS.(d) if I needed to do anything other than disconnect the battery for an hour when replacing the RCDLR so the BCM will know it was changed out, or,(e) if there was a potential software upgrade that a dealer could do with a tech2 that would fix this.At this point I am going to try one more dealership before I give up, but I presume that because Pontiac dealers no longer exist, the talent pool of technicians who were intimately familiar with this issue no longer exists.James