Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 hard top convertible with a hard

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 hard top convertible with a hard top that will not open. I get no message on the radio except for the TOP MOVE COMPLT message when selecting close. I've checked the fuses.
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some additional information, I did have to have the BCM replaced several months ago and I'm not sure I've tried the top since then. Is there any interconnect between it and the FTC that might cause this?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the BCM was not programmed to your vehicle properly this can cause this type of fault here.The BCM needs replaced new when it is replaced as a used one will not program to your vehicle as it is already programmed and locked to another vehicle.Then when it is replaced a GM dealer or authorized GM service center has to program it with their computer.If it wasn't programmed this needs done.If it was programmed I would have a dealer check the programming in it to see if it is correct to see if it needs reprogrammed for a convertible model as it may have been programmed for a sedan with no convertible roof.

If this is found o.k. this may be a fault with the roof control switch as it may be seeing a signal that you are trying to close the roof when you are actually trying to open it.I have seen some of these fail before needing replaced.This would need to be checked into/tested further to be sure of the component at fault and repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can play around with the open side of the switch and get the top to open. How do I access this switch?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This is the roof operation switch am I correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.this is something I thought may have been the cause as posted above,the switch can fail internally,Below are some links to replacement instructions,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/te5g9eb3sd8nd1p/sw-10-08-15.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fud7ifs0ca1df0/swi-10-08-15.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to remove the switch and order a replacement. It will arrive on Monday and. if it solves the problem, I'll close this question.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Let me know if this new switch resolves this here and feel free to rate my help when ready if you like.

Thanks Pete