Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Pontiac Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

We have intermittent heating problem with our 2001 Grand Am.

Customer Question

We have intermittent heating problem with our 2001 Grand Am. There is no difference in fan motor speed but heat stops & goes when driving the car. When the car is stopped at stop light, the car is warm but when you start driving down the road, the temperature starts to get cool. Have replaced thermostat and had heater core flushed 4 times, with same results.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like an air pocket in the block. Have you tried letting the engine run with the radiator cap off until the gauge shows normal? During this process it will puke out coolant because air is being pushed out and a lot of people think the coolant is full but its not. Any questions let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This radiator doesn't have a cap. The only cap is on the plastic resoviour.

Thats ok, remove that cap and let the engine idle for a long time,,,enough so that the temp gauge comes up to normal when the engine is fully warmed up then see if the level has dropped in the reservoir.

There is another way but it involves removing the t-stat and filling the block with as much coolant as you can,reconnect it, and then take the upper radiator hose off and fill it with coolant. These have always been a real pain to get all the air out of.

Did you still have questions? We can talk on the phone if you like. I will send you the offer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No one ever telephone the number given

You have to accept the phone call offer before i can see your number. I will submit it again.