jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certified
8668911

88 Pontiac 2.0l {vin K} timming belt was stripped from tring

Customer Question

88 Pontiac 2.0l {vin K} timming belt was stripped from tring to start car by idiot I lent it to. I have it all torn open need to flush out water system due to rust scale build up and im lost on how to set crank compaired to camshaft or is there a way to know if they ruined my engine
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

The camshaft mark should be at the 12 oclock position and the crankshaft -The timing mark on the crankshaft pulley should line up at 10° BTDC on the indicator scale.

SO you need to place the timing cover on but don't fasten it .and put the pulley on the crankshaft with one bolt -finger tight ,then line up the mark to the 10 degree before top dead center ..

you can check the valves by ,using a compression tester hose-take out the needle valve then install it ,supply shop air and turn the motor until the valves are closed at each cylinder -turn it until you cant hear air coming out the exhaust or throttle body ...if you hear air in any position that you turn the motr then there is an issue with the valves .

thank you ..jazzmaster ..

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

if I have helped you ,please rate me positive and we still can continue on if needed.

this is the only way I receive credit ,thank you...jazzmaster ..