Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

Would the TPS "Hold" the throttle in a position? My '02

Customer Question

would the TPS "Hold" the throttle in a position? My '02 Grand Prix has a throttle sticking problem that only happens after the engine is hot. I can actually feel the resistance through the pedal prior to the throttle sticking, it will then stay at the highest position I push the peddle to
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

it would be very rare for a TPS to cause this issue

more so a throttle cable or most common a very dirty throttle body causing the butter fly to stick in the throttle body bore

when the car is warm and acting up if you leave the car running and pop off the throttle cable off the throttle body does the gas pedal and cable work very easy with no resistance ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the cable moves smoothly and freely, as I can literally push it back through the fire wall with the tip of my finger. Additionally, I have (without the care running, but hot) rotated the throttle to max and moved the cable back and forth... it seems very smooth and easy to move... certainly the force of the coil spring could pull it back into place! However, I will try your method of disconnecting the cable from the throttle body while the engine is hot and report back.I have excellent mechanical abilities, though not much time spent on automobiles. 30 years engineering environmental remediation systems while building my company to 55 people. This car isn't worth much overall, so if there is a "quick & easy way" to clean the throttle body, please let me know
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if when its acting up and the cable and pedal moves freely shut the engine off and remove the air hose into the throttle body and with carburetor cleaner clean out the throttle body butter fly as best you can then see if it still does this

if it does remove the TPS and see if it still does this if it does not act up with the TPS removed then feel the TPS lever and see if it feels stuck or hard to push if it does replace the TPS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TPS is the Black Plastic, round component w/ wire connector on the forward side of the Throttle Body, correct? and I was hoping you would suggest exactly what you did... Carb Cleaner! Fingers Crossed. Sure beats this trend of "free estimates" camouflaged a nothing more than "replace everything". ZERO DIAGNOSTICS now-a-days.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

here is the TPS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not clear about what do do with the "run off" of the carb cleaner. Also, I assume I would NOT use this with the car running... instincts tell me that is a bad thing to do. Lastly, should I worry about the MAF, i.e., should I protect it from the carb cleaner / remove it first?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes you can remove the MAF to clean

carb cleaner will not hurt the MAF

and yes do not run the engine when cleaning it

just clean it as best you can and see if it stops sticking

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. And I will let you know the results before rating your service. Thank You. Scott
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?