FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

My 1988 firebird trans am 5 speed manuel trans goes into

Customer Question

my 1988 firebird trans am 5 speed manuel trans goes into gear fine when starting off cold when first driving, 5 min. into the drive and im forcing the gear shift into gear grinding or it just wont ingage, im having to shut off the motor to get it into gear at stop lights while driving. i have bleed the hydrulic system installed a new master and slave unit but still doesnt engage gears correctly with the clutch pedal pushed down. how do i get this shifting problem fixed.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if you noticed if it shifts even slightly better if you pump up the pedal a little first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have dot 4 brake fluid in the clutch res. and dextron 3 in the manuel trans gear box
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. What you need to do is see that the slave cylinder travel is when the system is working fine as opposed to when it is not. If it is the same amount of travel then that is not the issue. It will end up being due to the shift fork binding or the shifter bushings themselves being worn. I have seen the wrong or old fluid cause this also. Does your under hood sticker specify Dexron 3?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
question if this could be caused by shift fork binding or the bushings being worn , how come it only happens after driving several miles or warm trans. temp?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im waitimg to hear from you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you cant continue our conversation, Im going to have to cancell this fee you requested. Im definitely not satisfied with the little information youve given me, and Ill be cancelling this order asap.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry. I was not still online when you responded. We can either continue or I can opt out and allow someone else to help you. Just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please continue, the post question and is there a a chance the release fork from clutch to throw out bearing be bent. It now seems to ( clutch petal go down to floor) when pushed I have to hold foot on brake to keep car from moving
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

If the fork was bent it would happen all of the time. I am thinking that it is binding when it gets hot. If the pedal is now going to the floor then you need to see if the slave cylinder push rid is moving. If not it is a hydraulic issue unless the fork is not moveable.