AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix supercharged 3.8, it only

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix supercharged 3.8, it only has the even number cylinders firing 2 4,6, all the odd ones are dead tried a new ECM with no luck,try different coils even know there's an odd and even on each one, any ideas?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

OK. 2,4 and 6 are all on the same side. Can you use a mechanic stethoscope and see if your fuel injectors are ticking? listen to the injectors on the front bank of the engine first. thats the non misfiring side so you know what they should sound like, then listen to the ones on the back bank of the engine. That's the misfiring side. They should all sound the same but im thinking the back side will sound much quieter. I am thinking that, since that whole bank is out, your fuel injector harness is either damaged, unplugged, something to that effect. Listen to the fuel injectors first to rule that out, or at least look over the injector harness real good and look for signs of damage or a bad or loose connector or a blown fuse. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't tried it yet but I don't think its the fuel injectors I have no spark that's what I mean by dead there's no spark

OK. when we use the term "dead hole" we usually just mean that it's misfiring. If your certain that your missing spark on that entire side, have you looked into the ignition control module? Also, there is a TSB indicating that damaged spark plug wires on an entire bank. Usually the front, but rear bank is also possible. I assume though that you probably replaced all the plug wires and plugs.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
took a spark tester and put it on each cylinder with a different plug wire, got no spark on any of those cylinders
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ironic as it is I was at Napa getting some car parts went to go start my car and it didn't want to start finally got it started but it just started and ran weird and it would kill not restarted took me about an hour to go 3 miles to get home

That is ironic. Just to make sure, you used your spark tester on the front bank too and verified that your spark tester was functioning? I just want to make sure your heading in the right direction and not overlooking anything.

It seems very odd that you would lose spark on an entire bank. seems much more likely to lose fuel so I Just want to make sure that it's spark that we are losing and not fuel

Hey, I should have asked, but are there ANY other codes besides the misfire codes for 2 4 6?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to stop now, I'll talk with you tomorrow and try and get this figured out

no problem. if i can't help you get it nailed down, we'll fine someone who can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool

Just wondering if you had made any progress on the grand prix?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
haven't worked on it yet I will get back to you when I start, hopefully later on this week, working 10 hour days, been chasing my kids all around

That's cool. I had to reply to you. The system insists that we be the last to reply unless the question is closed. So, don't reply until your ready, otherwise I will have to reply again. Take your time. no rush on my end