Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1997 Pontiac Bonneville will not crank. no power coming to

Customer Question

1997 Pontiac Bonneville will not crank. no power coming to control wire at starter solenoid. holding the key in the start postion, moved gear shift selector up and down through the park and neutral postions and no attemp to crank. clipped on remote starter control and motor cranks over fine. turn igniton on to run and used remote starter and engine started but only runs for approx. 5 sec. restarts fine but quit again and again after approx 5 min. checked spark when engine quits and it is still sparking. checked fuel pulse and can see that the fuel pulse stops when you notice the engine stopping on its own, then you can see a pulse return just before the crank stops rotating but engine turning to slow to refire. checked fuse with test light and all ok.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Does the ignition key have a security chip in it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

The problem you are having is in the security system. It will disable the starter, also disables fuel injector control (will allow engine to start for a few seconds if starter is jumped). The most common issue is breakage of the wires coming off the ignition lock cylinder. This prevents key chip signal from reaching the antitheft module.

There are two ways to fix this issue. 1) Replace the ignition lock cylinder 2) Bypass lock cylinder wiring. You can do this by placing a resistor across the wiring coming out of the column. Resistor must match resistance of key chip.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the lock cylinder wiring checked ok. I checked the key chip resistance and it was 4.0 ohms. traced the wires down to the junction block and when the key is inserted i am reading 4.0 omhs on the wire ends proving i have continuity through the lock cylinder wiring.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if you are getting good signal at wiring harness then the lock cylinder is okay. Problem will then be in the Passkey module. Make sure to check fuses before replacing the module. Module is located behind passenger side of the dash. See illustration.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the fuses and their all ok. I notice that the security light isn't coming on and also when i turn the key to the start position i can hear a relay clicking. the relay is mounted on the right side fuse panel. If the control module is replaced does the lock cylinder need to be replaced so that the key chip resistance lines up with the new module?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

If you install a new module then the module learns the key chip resistance on first startup. If you install a used module then you will need to change the key to match the resistance value that was already programmed into that module. Lock cylinder would not have to be changed, you can get a new key with the proper resistor chip and then have it cut to match the cut of your existing key so it will turn the lock cylinder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I change the module is their anything else to check? Can I verify power to the module,is that the reason for no security light? If I put in a used one do you know what years of cars would be compatable with the 97
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Check fuses shown in diagram attached. Test for voltage at the Red and Pink wires going to the module. Key must be on when testing for voltage. The part number for the module is 88964942. Make sure the replacement part has the same number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dave. Tried a few things with car. I have access to a donor car. first checked car would start, it did. removed passkey module and installed it into problem car and used matching key. with cylinder removed inserted key and using pliers rotated ign switch rod pinion, dash came alive and door chime sounded. No engine rotation. installed problem cars module into donor car and the car responded. Also the security light is not coming on on the problem car nor is the fuel pump cycling. previously to this problem I had replaced the fuel filter and when the filter was removed i had cycled the fuel pump approx. 10 times. I went and got a new filter and it was two days later when i went to start the car and i now have this problem. checked wires at module like you advised and there is power. also rechecked all fuses --ok.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

When turning the key to START position, test voltage on the thick yellow wire. Do you have voltage there? If not, check voltage on each of the thick Red wires going into the ignition switch. Let me know what you find there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked wires found 6v on y when in run pos. 10v in start. reds had battery voltage---- only 12v batt a little low. will chargeup
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

At the module, ground the yellow/black wire and try starting the engine with the key. Let me know what this does.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dave, grounded the y/bl wire and the security light came on. motor cranked and stared but only ran 3sec and shut off. hit the key and started just like when i jumper the starter at first. the fuel pump isn't cycling when key turned to run pos.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Check the fuses shown in the diagram below for power with the key ON and check the fuses themselves. Let me know what you find there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked fuses b2 and a6, now there is no power coming to these fuses. where is the f2 fuse located?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

If those two fuses have no voltage then the others likely do not. Go to the maxi fuse panel in the underhood area at the firewall. See picture below. Check all of the fuses in these two panels. Note that there is likely a plastic panel covering these fuse panels that will need to be removed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked the maxi fuse panel and all the fuses checked ok. had no power on the a& b row of fuses. disconnected the battery and when reconnected had power on the A row of fuses. jumpered a wire over to the b2 fuse and no difference noted. grounded the b/y wire at module and car would start but only run 3sec. checked power at fuses and the A row lost power again.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

You should have a double positive cable at the battery. Try replacing the lead spacer between the two cable ends, then check power at fuses and attempt starting again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing wrong on the pos side plus it was the ground side being disconnected. can i check that the pcm is being power up when the y/b is grounded?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

The y/b is just the ground signal to the starter enable relay. The PCM gets a separate signal from the theft deterrent module. This is a pulse width modulated signal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Dave what else can I look at?Possible open ground? I've looked at both ground buses along the door sills--all checked to ground ok. Battery to body grounds are ok. Is there a relay to supply power to pcm to check?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Do you still have no voltage on some of the maxifuses at firewall?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the maxi fuses are ok. it was the a & b row of fuses on the left side that had lost power. see sept27 post. still don't see power at "b" row of fuses with ign sw on. No security light unless grounding y/b wire? Ign switch?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if maxifuses are all good and row B will not power up with the ignition on then this indicates a failure of the ignition switch.