sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8. Replaced blower motor

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8. Replaced blower motor and actuator I think it was called because air would only blow out when knob was on 3. Works great. Now the know that control where you want air to flow out is not working. You turn it and nothing happens. Air comes out everywhere. What do I need to replace now. Need defrost to blow hard this winter!
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're unable to control the direction of airflow then you have an issue with the mode door. The door itself could be broken, it's actuator may have failed, there could be an issue with the control head or a loss of vacuum.

Did the mode issue start immediately after the other repair was done?

Was it the blower motor and resistor that were replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced blower motor and resistor. Not sure what u mean by control head or mode door but I am not a mechanic. My dad is so kinda work on cars some. I replaced the blower motor and resistor months ago. This is a new issue.

The mode door is the door in the heater box that changes the direction of airflow (mode). The control head is the assembly on the dash where the system is controlled.

Are you able to control temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is my daughters car. When she comes over today I will check if you can change temp.. I am pretty sure you can but will let u know.

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Temperature knob works can change temp. So only problem is know that control where the air goes!

I'll get back to you as quickly as I can!

The mode door actuator is on the left end of the heater box and can be accessed from under the dash on the left side after removing the trim panel under the column. an you locate the actuator, start the engine and see if it actuator moves when hanging modes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you say left side you are talking drivers side? Also you are talking about the lower trim panel not the front dash panel correct. I am thinking drivers side not the side with the blower. If you could attach pic that would be great. I will look around when my daughter gets her today.

I'm unable to post directly from the service information due to copyright.

The left side of a vehicle is on your left when you're sitting in it. I'm assuming you're in the US and the car is a left hand drive, if not then the actuator would be on the right side. You're removing the trim panel on the lower dash under the column area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in U.S. So my steering is on left side when sitting in car. Will check it let you know what I see. Thanks

You're welcome!