Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

I have a 1982 trans am that the check engine light has

Customer Question

I have a 1982 trans am that the check engine light has started coming on and stays on after a few minutes. If I stop somewhere the light doesn't come right on until a bit and then stays on.
Also it has an oil leak that it has had for quite some time. I just make sure to check fluids frequently and add if needed. I drove it yesterday and the oil pressure was fine on the way to work and back until I stopped at store and after that the pressure dropped to 30 and started to go a bit below. Don't dare to drive.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing you are going to need to do is to remove the oil pressure sending unit and install a manual gauge and monitor the actual oil pressure for an accurate reading. If you can get this done and post back with the results we can work from there to get this resolved.