FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

When I started my Pontiac Grand Am 3.4 V6 I heard a noise

Customer Question

When I started my Pontiac Grand Am 3.4 V6 I heard a noise then oil stared pouring out around the oil pan
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. If it was a knocking or banging noise then it is quite possible that you may have had an internal failure that caused something to hit the block and form a hole. It is also possible that something came apart in one of the pulleys and hit the front cover of the engine and caused this. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I usually do my own repair
I'm an airplane mechanic acting Auto. It was 1 bang noise, my 1st thought was threw a rod
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

That is typically what it is. This engine is notorious for that. You need to find the source of the oil leak first and that will more than likely point you in the right direction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wasn't sure the car is worth putting a lot of money into
I just replaced the front wheel bearing hub assemblies
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

If it threw a rod then you are looking at a very expensive repair and depending on the rest of the car you may not want to put the money into it due to its age.