jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certified
8668911

Jazzmaster, I have a 2004 pontiac grand am, I have three

Customer Question

Hi Jazzmaster, I have a 2004 pontiac grand am, I have three brake lights, one left one right and a high center. My left and right lights do not come on which are also my turn signals and hazards which they work. Now I changed the light bulbs, changed the brake plunger (located under the dash) change the rear circuit board and yet they still do not work. I am stumped because I have power coming down the light blue wire to the tail lights which GM says that is the brake wire. I am wondering if its a relay.....
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hi, do you not have brake lights or are the turn signals not working ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
turn signals work, hazards work, but no brake lights. I replaced the circuit board, the bulbs and the plunger. there is also power on the light blue wire to the lights, but no brake lights
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the driver side there is a light blue wire and then a black/ light blue wire. There is power to the solid light blue wire when the plunger is disengaged.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

yeah, that lt blue comes from the brake switch and goes through the fuse box on the left side Ip fuse box then goes to the rear lights and you say you have power on that wire at the brake lights circuit board ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i replaced the circuit boards as well, thinking it may have been something inside of that. I plugged the new ones in and no brakes
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

the lt blue /black wire is for the left turn signal at the rear ,,you may have to take the bulb out and see if the power for the brake lights is getting to the bulb ,in the socket

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
turn signals work which are the same two bulbs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have even tried disconnecting the battery to see if it would reset the brain but that didn't work either.
Could it be a grounding issue, where is the common ground located ?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

is there power coming out of the brake switch on the lt blue wire when you put on the brakes ?

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

battery voltage ?

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

do the parking lights work ?

if they do and you have turn signals then it won't be a ground problem ,

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

did you check the bulbs in the third brake light ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the third brake light works, and I have turn signals. I am going to bring it to my mechanic tomorrow, thank you for your time anyways.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

ok,

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

did the mechanic find the issue ?