tristan
tristan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
10186415

2008 G6 top will not go down

Customer Question

2008 G6 top will not go down
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I took the wife out for a cruise and put the top down nicely. All was well. When we got home I put the top up and it secured and windows raised. Got in this morning pressed the button and the windows all go down and the top unsecures about half and inch and can hear a motor running but that's it. I can press the button and secure the top but the trunk does not lift when the button is pushed. I checked all the fuses in the back panel and all show good. Any ideas? Oh this is on a flat surface and the temp is 83. And nothing on the radio till I release the button and it says top not secure on the way to open it.
Expert:  tristan replied 1 year ago.

Honestly the only thing you can do with out a scan tool is first make sure the gaurd in the trunk is closed. Next partially remove the headliner which is only held on by plastic snap pins so just pry them out, the. On the left and right side there will be a bar about a 1/4 round bout 18in long you'll see, try opening the roof, if they bind up or if there're binding the will bow up and almost start touching the roof, if that happens remove the metal retainer on the front of the bar pop it out and spray a lube like wd40 on the rear of the bar and work it back and forth. If that's not your problem you'll need a scan tool to help with the rest. I hope this helps. Please give a positive rating. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why would the top binding stop the trunk from opening? The top is not bound.
Expert:  tristan replied 1 year ago.

If the top doesn't open its very common for those bars to bind which throws the timing and transition speed off and it disables the top. Not sure is that's your proble but this is very very common