Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics
18617752

Getting ready to go and look at a 2003 Pontiac Aztek, the

Customer Question

Getting ready to go and look at a 2003 Pontiac Aztek, the truck has a one time owner...owner says he drives this truck for work everyday. No leaks or problems. It has 150,000. the asking price is $2000. What problems are common?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the 3.4L engine that is offered in the 2003 Aztek was notoriously known for having head gasket problems. Usually with failure right around the 150k mile marker. So if this vehicle has 150k on it, I would recommend that a cooling system pressure check be done prior to purchase to ensure the head gaskets are not leaking. The head gasket is a major job and can be very costly. More of these vehicles had the problem than did not. I would be very cautious of this purchase.