Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

I have a 2008 Grand Prix and my headlights quit working when

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Grand Prix and my headlights quit working when on auto. I changed the bulbs to no avail and checked the fuses and they are fine. I can only get the brights to work when I switch to the bottom setting with the security lights. When on auto neither the brights or dims work.
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid $18 for this service. Do I need to do anything else?
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming.

I'm ***** *****.

I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

I am going to need your VIN# ***** determine which option your vehicle has so I can get the proper wiring diagram.

Thank You

***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vin# ***** ***** Thanks.

Here is a wiring diagram and a description of the low beam operation.

Headlamps

The headlamps may be turned ON 2 different ways. First, when the driver places the headlamp switch is placed in the ON position, for normal operation. Second, with the headlamp switch placed in the OFF position, for automatic lamp control (ALC). During ALC control the headlamps will be in day time running lamp (DRL) operation in daylight conditions, or low beam operation in low light conditions.

For low beam operation, battery positive voltage is applied at all times to the coil and switch side of the low beam relay in the underhood fuse block. Ground is applied at all times from G202 to the headlamp switch. When the headlamp switch is placed in the HEAD position, ground is applied to the headlamps ON signal circuit to the body control module (BCM). When either the headlamp switch is placed in the HEAD position or ALC is enabled, the BCM applies a ground to the low beam relay control circuit. This energizes the relay and applies battery positive voltage to the LEFT and RIGHT low beam fuses in the underhood fuse block. Battery positive voltage is then applied from the fuses through the headlamp supply voltage circuit to the headlamps. Ground is applied at all times to the left headlamp from G101 and to the right headlamp from G100.

Hi, Just wanted to get an update on how you made out with vehicle.

If you could please Rate the service and info I gave you, it would help to close out this question in my database.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.

Thanks