George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

I was having problems with my 06 vibe intermittent blower

Customer Question

Dave I was having problems with my 06 vibe intermittent blower fan motor. I tried checking the voltage going to the motor with my DVM by inserting two small nails into the female sockets for the motor and then when I put my DVM up to check voltage, something smelled hot so I immediately pulled the nails. Upon hooking up the fan again the blower would not work. I know there are two resistors (1-3 speed and 4 speed) because I have had to replace res. 1-3 previously but this does not work on any speed. I looked at the wiring diagram and it looks like the Heater fuse on the instrument panel may be a good place to look (if I can ever get the damn thing out of there). Your advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank You Mark in Minnesota
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Looks like Dave took the weekend off.

Check at the blower motor connector and see if you have 12 volts to either of the motor connector pins. If nothing there pull the 40 amp heater fuse and see if you have 12 volts to one of the fuse pins.

Let me know what you find and we can work from there

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I fixed the problem by pulling the 40 AMP fuse and looked through the little window and saw it was blown. I think your reply was one step too far in the process. If indeed I had pulled the 40 AMP fuse and saw that there was still continuity, checking for 12V at the pins would be the logical next step. The blower fan (after fuse replacement) runs but is still intermittent at times. Zip tied some cables to prevent movement and will hope for the best. PS Thank the Pontiac Engineers for the idiotic location of the fuse panel, it rates right up there with my wife's 80's vintage Ford Escort with the oil filter next to the firewall and my mom's 90's vintage Chevrolet Lumina where the battery was underneath the washer fluid reservoir! As a technician I am sure you have discovered some real engineering "Gems" and uttered "What in the hell were they thinking"! Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I usually start at the blower connection as it performs several tests at once and when I am not there to take it step by step it saves time. Glad you found that the motor is shorting and blew the fuse replacing the motor is what will be needed or idnetifying the short between the fuse and the motor