Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

2003 grand am, driving down road, engine stops, will turn

Customer Question

2003 grand am, driving down road, engine stops, will turn over good, but will not try to start ?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

It could be just about anything at this point.

If it is turning over then you will want to check these things, fuel pressure, spark, compression, pull oil fill cap and see if rockers move when engine is cranked, then while cranking watch tach, the rpms should bounce, if not you may very well have a bad crank sensor which will require a scan tool for checking, this will also help for checking things like the tps. Also checking if security light is on/flashing and or check engine light. This is what I mean by at this point without anything known it could be just about anything.

Try spraying a little starting fluid into the throttle body and see if it starts and stalls or tries, you can put your ear over the fuel filler neck with cap off and have someone turn the kley on you should hear the pump prime for a few secs.

Once I have more info from above then we can further diagnose and pinpoint the problem.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.