FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2004 Grand Am, Battery tested good, New Alternator, New

Customer Question

2004 Grand Am, Battery tested good, New Alternator, New Starter, not charging. battery keeps dying. After about 20 minutes of car running, battery gives out and have to recharge battery. I think there's an electrical issue. all fuses tested good
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. It does sound like an electrical issue. Do you have a voltage meter to run through some tests?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do. Just need to know where to connect. Continuity or Voltage?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

To start I need to know what each of the 4 wires at the battery have voltage wise with the key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Testing from Neg to Pos terminals I read about 11.5 VDC currently. That is true whether the car is running or not. I have 2 small wires on the alternator, orange reads about 12 volts, red reads 5 volts. I don't know what 4 wires you may be referring to.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Is there one large wire and two small wires or one large wire and three small wires on your alternator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One large and two small.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

And the large wire has battery voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. No voltage on it
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

That wire should have constant power. If it does not then there is a break in the wire. Most of the time this is caused by a failure of the fusible link in the wire. This wire goes from the alternator to the starter and the break usually happens between the two. you need to find this break and replace the wire.