FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

My car is jerking after 40 mph. my car is a 2005 grand am

Customer Question

my car is jerking after 40 mph. my car is a 2005 grand am
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car does this when there is a hard pull, I have to gave more fuel to stop jerking. the car does not do it all the time.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on when this occurs and what size engine you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no check engine light on. There is no code stored. The engine is a 6 that came in it. Also the car over 40 mph will stop jerking and stop acting like I am using the passing gear. The rpm will increase 400 to 500 rpm and return to normal.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I have one last question. How many miles are on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car has 234437 miles on it. p. s. have replaced tps and idle air control because car had to be driven with two feet. Now driven with one foot but still have the jerking.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Since the check engine light is not coming on you have a few common issues that will cause this. Most of the time this is caused by a failing torque converter in the transmission, a dirty air flow meter, or a fuel pressure problem. Is this something that you planned on diagnosing and fixing yourself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

What I would do first is remove the mass air flow sensor. This is located in the air intake between the air filter and the engine. Remove it and clean it out with mass air flow sensor cleaner. If that does not help I would check the fuel pressure with a pressure gauge. If the pressure is fine there then you may have to remove the transmission pan looking for signs of material showing that there is an internal failure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** give those a try.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Let me know if you need more help after trying this.