Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech. Expert Witness.
7183013

I have a 2007 Vibe with 101K on it. It has been a dream car.

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Vibe with 101K on it. It has been a dream car. I have done all the normal maintenence. This weekend I noticed a deep rattle sound, (it sounds exactly like a boiling over radiator). I only notice it at stop lights. All fluid levels are good, only a very slight rise in the temp as in two -3 small lines but never going over the half way mark. This morning I was able to get out raise the hood when it happened and it is coming from the area where you put oil in, if not just barely in front of that area and more on the top not deel down in the motor. Any suggestions???
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you may have a timing chain loose for some reason. The area and sound you describe are consistent with that. It could be the tensioner has collapsed or a guide may have broken, because it should not be worn out and there is no regular adjustment needed. If the noise changes as you rev the engine in neutral and then let it idle back down again, that is most likely the cause. I would not wait long before addressing it because if it skips and comes out of time it can ruin the engine.