FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

What is the most common cause of an ABS failure on a 2004

Customer Question

What is the most common cause of an ABS failure on a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix? It got erratic in applying the brakes so I disconnected it from the wiring harness and the brakes work OK but of course no ABS.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. If the problem only occurs when applying the brakes then it is typically either the yaw sensor or a wheel speed sensor. If all of your tires on the car do not match then that can throw off the wheel speed sensors and cause the ABS to kick in. If the tires are fine then it may be one of the speed sensors themselves. You would have to monitor what the ABS module is seeing when the problem is occurring. This can only be done with a scan tool that reads this system. Please let me know if you need more help.