Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Pontiac Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I own a 1978 firebird trans am. I lost the keys. will

Customer Question

I own a 1978 firebird trans am. I lost the keys. will probably need a new ignition switch as well. Being nearly 40 yrs old it will be difficult to find equipment needed. Do you have any ideas to help me. Can install if necessary.....Thanks for your help. I live in south Fl.....Carolann ***@******.***
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Hi Carolann! All you need to do is remove the steering wheel, loosen the turn signal screws and lift the turn sig switch a bit and depress a little tab(some have a screw you remove) and the key cylinder will pull right out!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/switch.PNG

I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you. You can still ask questions even after you do the required rating and there is no further charge! Your question does not close after you rate. Thank you. Larry

I can walk you thru this with a phone call if you like.

Let me know please.

Hi Carolann,
Did you want to talk about replacing the key cylinder or need more info?
LJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your help....know how to do the steering wheel....but, biggest problem....where can I get 1978 firebird trans am KEYS????? any ideas??? carolann ***@******.*** (###) ###-#### cell(###) ###-####

The new key cylinder comes with brand new key for the ignition switch.

All you have to do to get keys for the doors and trunk and glove box is remove the key cylinder from the glove box(its the easiest) and take it to a locksmith and they will cut you a new key and it will fir the doors and trunk too :-)

LJ