Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

UNABLE TO GET MORE THAN 15.0 INCHES OF ENGINE VACUUM THE

Customer Question

UNABLE TO GET MORE THAN 15.0 INCHES OF ENGINE VACUUM ANN THE ENGINE INCREASES BY 500 RPM`S WHEN THE EGR VALVE IS OPENED AT IDLE
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site.

I can probably help you solve this issue, but first I need to know a little more about what got you to this point. Can you tell me if there are any fault codes?

You can read flashes of the dashboard "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light by jumpering ALDL terminals A and B with ignition on and engine off. For example, "FLASH", "FLASH", pause, "FLASH", longer pause, identifies "21". The first series of flashes are the first digit of trouble code; second series of flashes are the second digit of trouble code. Trouble codes are displayed starting with the lowest numbered code.
Each code is displayed 3 times. Codes will continue to repeat as long as ALDL terminals A and B are jumpered.

Once we have that information, we'll have a better idea on how to proceed.

Best Regards