Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have 15+ years gm experiance and am very knowledgeable with systems and operations and diagnosis and have access to factory wiring diagrams and tsb's
27644750

Why my car just cuts off while driving but starts back up it

Customer Question

why my car just cuts off while driving but starts back up it is a 2002 Grand Am V6
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just drove it to town and back home and now it want even turn over
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

will the engine physically crank over and just not fire up ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when it stopped running it would crank right back up and now it want even crank not even make a click
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is the car electrically dead ?

will it start up with a jump start ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't got another one to try it I took it the other day and had plugs and themerstst put in it and when I got it back the trouble started I have had the car for 5 years with not a hole lot of proublems till now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it dead want make a sound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to town this morning it done ok except cutting off one time and pulled in the yard and went to start it again and got nothing
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the odds are the battery is the problem or the battery cables or possibly the alternator is not charging correctly causing this issue

if that car is electrically dead it needs the battery cables check to be sure they are clean and tight if that checks out the battery needs to be charged and tested for volts and amps and a bad cell

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it was the battery it would no ding when you open the door would it and the battery cranked it up good till now
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is the car electrically dead? i have asked 2 times if it was

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

will it start up with a jump start or the battery charged ?

are both battery cables clean and tight ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't know don't have a another veichael to try it yes the cables are clean an tight
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

then you need to remove the battery and have it tested for volts and maps and for a bad cell

we need to restore full battery power to this car next

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think that's the problem either and I don't think I should be charged for I did not get no answers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are we through or do you have any other ideals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

let me open this up to the other experts

hang on another expert will reply back to you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car was in good running condition except I went and had a thermostat and changed the plugs and when I went and got it back it all started cutting off while driving it but it cranked right back up and today I went to town and it never died on me got home tried cranking it again and 0 nothing not even a click .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could they have unplugged something or left some thing unpluged
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

I have read the thread with you and Gary. I would like to start fresh.

Do you have any test equipment? Test Light? Meter? Scanner?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not even a way to get any thing
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Then I apologize I cannot even begin to assist you. I will opt out and see if someone else can help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no never mind
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Have you had the vehicle figured out yet ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no its not much I can do don't have a way of checking any thing out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15 August 2015 04:52The car was in good running condition except I went and had a thermostat and changed the plugs and when I went and got it back it all started cutting off while driving it but it cranked right back up and today I went to town and it never died on me got home tried cranking it again and 0 nothing not even a click .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could they have done something to it or to the computer by just changing the plugs and putting a thermostat in it
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Can you turn the headlights and radio on ? Does it seem like the battery is dead ? Did you try a jump start ? Would you want to do a live phone call ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get the headlight on and radio I did check the battery an its got plenty of juce
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Is there a security light on the dash when you try to start it ? Does it flash ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we tried a jump start and 0nothing not even a click
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. When you turn the key on how does it feel. Like nice solid smooth clicks ? Or rough kinda hard to turn or really loose and floppy ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it dose not have no click there is no sound at all when you turn the key
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Not from the engine. From the key. How does the key sound when it's turning.