Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

I just purchased a 1986 Pontiac firebird and I was going

Customer Question

Hi I just purchased a 1986 Pontiac firebird and I was going down the highway when my car started leaking granny fluid every where at first I thought I blew a line but after looking in the engine compartment I noticed it over flowing from the part where the dip stick is at can you tell me what would cause it to do that and how to repair it if possible
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

it is over flowing out of the dip stick or leaking from where the dip stick tube goes into the transmission ?

if you clean up the oil mess and run the car are you sure it is not from where the cooler lines go into the transmission or the vent rubber hose at the top of the transmission ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya I'm sure I can watch it come out the top where the dip stick is
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok and to be clear it is coming out where the dip stick goes into the dipstick tube up that high ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you for putting up with my questions but i have to be sure

if the fluid is boiling out of the dip stick tube this is caused by the vent on top of the transmission being plugged up and not allowing the transmission to vent correctly

if the vent is cleared out and fine then the only thing left is the fluid boiling over by the fluid overheating inside the transmission which is usually caused by a bad torque converter or an internal failure over heating the fluid or a plugged transmission cooler in the radiator or one of the cooler lines from the transmission to the radiator being kinked or closed off usually when it is the latter parts of what i said even if a cooler line or the cooler is the issue this transmission got hot enough to boil the fluid and you will have internal transmission damage if not right now it will show up very soon