Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How can I program my 2004 gto key. I have tried, the dealer

Customer Question

How can I program my 2004 gto key. I have tried, the dealer tried, lock smith tried and ALL failed.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
I am surprised that neither the dealer or locksmith have told you that either the key is defective or the antitheft control module that the key is programmed to is faulty. There simply is no other reason neither a dealer or locksmith cannot program it.
I can give you the programming procedure if you would like, but it will be the same as what has been tried already. There is no secret/undisclosed way of programming it.
Here is programming method without scan tool
30 minute GM relearn procedure:
1-Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2-Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
5-Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6-Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to get a new anti theft control module and 2 new keys? Where is the best price on these?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
You may only need new key or just new module. I cant tell you without actually testing them with a Tech2 scan tool.
The module you can order from Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts for best price
For the key, least expensive is usually a locksmith. Stay away from ones on Ebay. 99% of the time they are cheap Chinese knockoffs and will not program