Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have 15+ years gm experiance and am very knowledgeable with systems and operations and diagnosis and have access to factory wiring diagrams and tsb's
27644750

Just purchased used 2009 pobtiac G8 base eith 125,000. New

Customer Question

Just purchased used 2009 pobtiac G8 base eith 125,000. New brakes, rotors. Heae a clocking noise (like a playing card in a bike spoke when kids) as car is being driven. Comes on then off randomly. Dealership has looked at it and cannot identify not recommend solution.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Does the noise only occur when driving or also at a stop ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only when diving ..in forward or reverse.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Does it change with speed ? Does it get louder or just faster ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's affected by speed of vehicle. Speeds up and slows Down. Just like a playing car pinched by a clothes pin on a bike front tire. Turning does not matter...clicking is present in turns and straight aways. Also is present when car is in neutral, and coasting. Is present even When brakes are not applied. Temperature does not matter.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that is great ! Your info is very helpful in ruling out a lot of issues. Couple more questions.
How new are your tires?
What kinds of roads do you drive on , any gravel roads , or gravel driveway ?
Can you roll down each window individually and tell which wheel area it is coming from ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brand new - OEM graded tires. asphalt roads w/bumps. Many bumps...It's michigan! 😀 so rough roads.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the dealership claims lca are good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suspect bad ball joints on lca..but they do no.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok hear me out on this. With new tires and gravel roads you will get rocks stuck in the tread. And they will give you that noise. That's why I ask if you can locate a corner of the car by lowering each window in until the noise gets loud. It has to be a rock in a tire tread or nail but you would have a low tire message. That is the only thing that makes sense. Ball joints only make a knock over bumps. Same with all suspension. Brakes and bearings will never make a click noise. Lower control arms on your model are very stought and will not make a rotating click noise. The only thing that makes sense. Especially from all the info you have given me. I know this may sound far fetched but new tires have the greatest amount of tread. Therefore more space for rocks to get caught. Happens ALL the time. Not all technicians are smart enough to think outside of the box. Let me know if this helps. Usually the shiniest rock in your tread is the one that is making the noise. Hope this information helps. Let me know. Lou
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
I used to live here in Michigan .......👉🏻✋🏻😉
I know you know what that means (as long as the emoji went through proper lol)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately it's not that simple. No rocks are found in thread. I ensure I pick them out a test drive. Noise still exists.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok , so you work on your car yourself ? Or always take to mechanic ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Knowledgable on simple things...mechanically I will always take in for observation and recommendation. But things like stones in tires, or mud caked on rims causing out of balance conditions, tire rotations (cupping) and balancing all the more common sense things that cause road noises and vibrations I know all about. His is definitely a mechanical issue but hard to diagnosis. Like I mentioned the dealership can't even determine. I thought perhaps you would have a different viewpoint
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

No something like this is not common. Maybe a u joint , but to check the rear would have to be raised. Yeah from everything you say it's going to be something that rotates with the tires. Tires , brakes, rear diff, rear axles, u joints , something to that effect. That's all I got. Sorry I don't have s quick answer. Please let me know the outcome. I won't waste any more of your time. Up to you if you want to rate me positive. I'll understand if you don't. Take care. Lou. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉