GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I ACCIDENTALLY GOT SOMETHING CAUGHT IN MY CONVERTIBLE TOP

Customer Question

I ACCIDENTALLY GOT SOMETHING CAUGHT IN MY CONVERTIBLE TOP WHEN I WAS BRINGING IT UP TO CLOSE IT...THE PICTURE GOT STUCK AND MADE AN AWFUL SOUND, AFTER TRYING TWO OR THREE TIMES I WAS ABLE TO REMOVE THE ITEM AND CLOSE THE TOP. I TRIED TO OPEN THE TOP LAST NIGHT AND IT SEEMS AS IS SOMETHING IS RUBBING BECAUSE IT IS MAKING THE SAME SOUND AND WILL NOT SIT FLAT WHEN OPENING....IT LOOKS AS IF IT MAY BE THE FOLD IN ARMS FROM THE BACK DECK....CAN THIS BE REPAIRED AND BY WHOM??
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

This is a problem that can easily be fixed by taking the vehicle to chevy dealer. They are all capable of performing this type of repair.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealership says the part is no longer available and therefor cannot be fixed. They suggested trying junkyards and I checked the largest one with nationwide yards and they don't have my car in any of their lots...

At this point, it would be beneficial to try an automotive upholstery shop.

My bet would be that they can massage the linkage back into place, or a new piece (s) can be fabricate in place of the bent ones.