Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I have a 2000 pontiac grand prix gtp when I first start it

Customer Question

I have a 2000 pontiac grand prix gtp when I first start it in the morning or after it has sat for awhile it starts rough I can feel it down by my feet and it has to run for a a couple min then it straightens out I just had my exhaust worked on the guy removed the resognator and put a glass pack and after that it started the roughness and also my service engine soon light comes on every once in awhile and now my abs and tv's off light comes on here and then but when those two come on the steering gets a little tight then the abs light goes off and the steering loosens up dont know if all that is all combined or what
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resoloution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

Have you had the codes read? Why was resonator replaced? Any other work done recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had the codes read they sent on long enough sometimes they go off within mins I don't drive vary far to work and back which is like 4min from my house I live in a small town so not a lot of driving so when they come on they are gone pretty quick but the abs light has been coming on more frequent the only work recent is the glass pack I had an exhaust leak in which the resignater was bad he said and recommends the glass pack instead because it was cheaper and it fixed the leak it was a lot quieter and my pump for my washer fluid was replaced at the same time that's all resently
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Does the vehicle start hard at times? What is your mechanical ability? 1 is none and 5 is expert?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It starts hard every time I start it after it has sat for awhile just for a couple of min then it's fine unless it sits again for awhile it starts up right away it just sounds rough and I can feel it under my feet it may sound strange I know and my expertise it more like 1 I only know the things that have been explained to me over the years
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Lets first make sure it is not something simple. I would like you to start the vehicle with the hood up and the engine cover removed. While it is running I would like you to remove the hose from the fuel pressure regulator (Pic attached)and see if fuel squirts out. It shouldn't if it does then you need to replace the regulator. This is a common failure and inexpensive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking at it and to be honest I'm not sure what to remove I looked at the pic and it looks a bit different under here sorry
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

is your engine a 3800? Have you removed engine cover?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its the 3800 and there is no cover
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

it should look just like the picture then. can you send me a picture under your hood?