Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics
18617752

How do I reset the oil and filter light after having the oil

Customer Question

How do I reset the oil and filter light after having the oil and filter replaced? What is in the manual does not work. I took it in to a dealership to have it reset once but forgot what they told me to do because it was not what was in the manual. 2008 Pontiac Solstice.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

To reset the Engine Oil Life System, do the following:

1. Turn the ignition to RUN with the engine OFF.
  2. Press the information (INFO) and RESET buttons on the Driver Information Center (DIC) at the same time to enter the personalization menu.
  3. Press the INFO button to scroll through the available personalization menu modes until the DIC display shows OIL-LIFE RESET.
  4. Press and hold the reset button until the DIC display shows ACKNOWLEDGED. This will tell you the system has been reset.
  5. Turn the key to LOCK.

If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes back on when you start the vehicle, the Engine Oil Life System has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept. Remember, your rating is required.