Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech. Expert Witness.
7183013

I have a 2006 Grand Prix, base, 212K miles. Car starts just

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Grand Prix, base, 212K miles. Car starts just fine. As soon as I shift from park into gear, the car shuts off-engine, electrical, everything. About a half second later, the electrical portion comes back online. No codes and no messages on the DIC. Any ideas?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

There is a wiring harness at the front of the engine that over time gets tugged on by the engine going into gear. The combination of weak or broken motor mounts and the constant movement of that harness will eventually cause wires to break in there. You can trace from the starter motor to the frame as that is part of that harness. Often you can yank the wires by hand and have the car stall. If this occurs you need to pull the harness apart and repair whatever wires are broken or loose. You will also need to check all the motor mounts to prevent it from happening again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't been able to check on the wires yet, but when I put the car in gear, my buddy couldn't believe how far the engine moved, so I agree the motor mounts are bad which is pulling on the harness. I'll try to get into this this weekend. Thanks!
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like we may be on the right track, let me know!