Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

The key switch got busted out so I put steering column in a

Customer Question

The key switch got busted out so I put steering column in a 1997 Pontiac sunfire now I really need help with the anti-theft system... Please help!
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming.

I'm Dan J. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question. I will be with you shortly with that info.

Password ***** Procedure

Important: All Instrument Panel Cluster Theft Deterrent DTCs must be cleared before performing the password ***** procedure.

In order for a theft deterrent vehicle to run, a password ***** ***** between the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) and the PCM. If a PCM is replaced, the new PCM needs to learn the correct password ***** the vehicle. When the new PCM is installed, the EEPROM calibration is flashed into the new PCM and the vehicle will learn the new password ***** initial ignition ON. If the IPC is replaced, the PCM needs to learn the new password ***** the IPC. The password ***** procedure is as follows:

1. Attempt to start vehicle, then leave the ignition ON. The THEFT SYSTEM telltale will flash for 10 minutes.
  2. When the THEFT SYSTEM telltale stops flashing, start the vehicle. Once the vehicle is running, the password ***** *****

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.
If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.