Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I put the door key in the ignition instead of the ignition

Customer Question

I put the door key in the ignition instead of the ignition key. It set off the anti-theft sensor. How do I fix this?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, when you turn the correct key in the ignition, does the security/antitheft light blink on and off, stay on until you turn the key off, or come on and then go off after 10 seconds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure. It just says in the message center that the anti theft lock has been activates.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you call my cell phone so I canto to the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
XXX XXX XXXX
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
Ok, you need to do the 30 minute relearn procedure.
30 minute GM relearn procedure:
1-Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2-Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
5-Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6-Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks