Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I just got my car back from the shop.. 1993 Pontiac Grand am

Customer Question

I just got my car back from the shop.. 1993 Pontiac Grand am 2.3L 4C
they had to replace all the intake valves..
but when I start it, there is a loud knock that eventually goes away, I am getting low oil pressure, car is getting hot then it dies,. if I try to restart right away is runs very poorly as it is starving for power.
there is also a bit of oil that is seeping from the valve cover bolt.
All fluid levels are good!
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
If this was not present before the valve job, I suspect either valve job was done incorrectly(valve keepers not installed correctly and dropped valve, missing guide, etc), or timing was not reset correctly and off a tooth or two.
A compression test and leakdown test is needed to know where the issue lies., and I would also have the cylinders looked at thru a boroscope, which will be able to see a dropped valve or piston top damage.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks