Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Pontiac Grand Am: Where is the orfice tube located on a 97

Customer Question

Where is the orfice tube located on a 97 grand am?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
Hi, While the overwhelming majority of GM vehicles use an orifice tube, yours is one of the few that uses an expansion valve instead of orifice tube. It is located under the dash, attached to the evaporator(see attached diagram) Remove or Disconnect 1. Recover the A/C system. 2. Negative battery cable. 3. Right side under dash insulator panel. 4. Electrical junction box at heater core cover. 5. Left side insulator panel. 6. Steering column filler. 7. Partially remove shift console, if equipped, to gain access to floor duct and heater core cover. 8. Floor duct. 9. Heater core cover. NOTICE: The heater core will be suspended by the heater core pipes. Do not apply any downward pressure on the core, or damage may occur to the heater core pipes. 10. Heater core shroud and straps. 11. Insulation tape from valve fittings. 12. Thermal expansion valve. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks