Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Picked up montana from an auction yesterday tried to turn on

Customer Question

picked up montana from an auction yesterday tried to turn on A/C and nothing is blowing out the vents at none of the settings. THis is what i done so far. purchased a motor blower and blower resistor still nothing. I checked interior fuse 25amp for hvac blower and 30amp frn hvac hi blwr with 12vold testlight and fuses seems fine testlight lit up. Now i did check mini fuse 28 in fuse box under the hood for A/C clu (10a) and their was nothing lighting up on testlight, so i took out fuse and connected it to a random connection and testlight lit up. I put testlight on the actual fuse 28 connector and nothing lit up. So that told me the fuse was fine but their is no power on the connection. I"m not sure if that would cause the actual blower not to turn on or not. Also now I"m wondering if the problem is the climate control unit itself. Again I already ruled out the motor blower and connector because both are new parts. I already checked all the wires between the resistor and blower with test light and everything lit up. So now Im stuck on what the problem would be since the front blower won't even run which also includes the rear unit. Nothing blowing at all. I can really use your help.
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for minor typo. When i said I already ruled out the motor blower and connector I meant to say i ruled out the motor blower and blower resistor because both are new parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New update went back to check fuses didn't think to actually turn the vehicle on and the fuse for the A/C clutch is lighting up when i tested it with 12volt test light. So now that rules that out. Seriously thinking if it's the actual climate control unit causing the issue. I looked closely at the buttons on the unit that controls air flow and A/C button and I don't see any lights on any of the indicators.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another update. I went back out to the minivan and connected my 12 volt test light to my neg jumper cable instead of using an old battery I had in my garage so I can get a better ground per someone else recommendation. This time I test all the fuses related to my blower motor issue and this time the 25a hvac blower and 10a Light/HVAC/Temp/and Heated Seat fuse were not responding to my test light. I took out both fused and placed them in other slots in the fuse box retest fuses and test light lit up. I went and tested both sides of the connection where both fuses were orginally placed and got no volts and I also put in two good known fuses and still no volts. My first set of questions had me confused but know with this new discovery it's somewhat making sense why the blower isn't working but now I'm wondering if the actual connections for the fuses doesn't show any volts with the test light is their possibly a ground issue with the fuse box itself?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.

I am assuming that when you stated that the fuses were no responding you mean that they have no power at either side. I have attached a diagram for this vehicles HVAC System.It looks like the fuses you speak of get their power from the ignition switch itself. SO what I would suggest is removing the ignition switch and verifying that the switch is not providing power to the fuse. If it is not then the switch is the likely suspect.