Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Hc readings from 3 to 21 ppm -- some overheating

Customer Question

hc readings from 3 to 21 ppm -- some overheating
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  ConditionedAir replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.Hi, I understand you have some questions about carbon monoxide readings. Can you give me more detail here? What is this on? Make, model? Who took these readings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pontiac grand prix 2008. Readings taken by mechanic at Finwalls Yreka ca,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cost to fix 2500.00
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could not talk to mechanic only the receptionist. she said HC particulates in car and then driving caused blown head gasket. I thought the HC was a sign of blown head gasket overheating or not. If not then where did HC in radiator come from. her answers were circular and shop seems extremely busy with one mechanic
Oh, OK, this is miscategorized. This is HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I had an answer? what is "miscategorized mean?
It needs to be in the "car" category. This is heating and air conditioning experts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I originally said Pontiac grand prix in appropriate place????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would appreciate an analysis by car mechanic sent to my email***@******.***
Yeah, this sometimes happens. I will see about getting it moved back to appropriate category
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes thank you
No problem
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to our site. I am a Certified Master Technician with 30+ years experience and I will do my best to assist you. Please keep in mind that, while I can provide you with technical guidance, working on this type of issue may require you to have not only access to several different automotive tools, but the skills to use them as well. As I’m unable to hear, see or touch your vehicle, it is very important that you provide me with as much information as possible.How can I help you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the Pontiac to mechanic and was told that I had a blown head gasket based upon hydrocarbon particulates in readings taken these reading varied from 3 to 21 ppm. Is this definitive? while I can pay there first est of 1300 to 1700, they raised it based upon the make of the car to 2500.00 + I realize this is an expensive procedure but I am not knowledgeable enough nor to I have the equipment to attempt anything myself. That is all that I can tell you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh it is 2008 Pontiac grand prix v6
In cases such as your vehicle's, where the HC shown are minimal, I always advise using a chemical such as Blue Devil Sealer (click here to view offering from Advance Auto) as the first method of repair. I've had great success using this product and thus have saved my customers thousands. The only caveat is that instructions printed on the can must be followed to the letter; no deviations or shortcuts. Best Regards.