Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

Pontiac gto: ***** ***** a 05 gto that had oil pressure issues that

Customer Question

i have a 05 gto that had oil pressure issues that started 3 days ago. I replaced the filter checked my oil and everything was where was it supposed to be but the warning stayed on. It took about 3 minutes of driving before the warning would come on. During accleration it would stay on but if i let off the gas, the warning went off. It ended up dying on me going to the road and i couldnt get it to start back up so i popped the clutch at a very low speed and it fired up and i drove it home(which was like 150 yards). Once i killed it, it will not turn over at all. What do you think im gonna have to replace in order to get it up and running again? Also, do you think the mototr is salvalagable?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
First of all, get that oil pressure warning light out before you do anything. I would even attempt to figure it out without starting the engine, so if it didn't do this until after the oil filter was replaced, put the old oil filter back on just for now. If the oil light remains off, fine, get another oil filter exactly the same as that old one. If the new one is already the same as that one, take it back and/or get a new one. Plus, make sure the old oil filter seal isn't stuck to the engine and when installing the new oil filter with seal, you ended up with 2 seals. If so, 2 seals will always leak.If you cannot get the light to go off immediately, install an oil pressure gauge and find out if the oil pressure is truly low or not, maybe it is just the oil switch. I doubt it though since it is not always on.At this point let me know if the oil pressure warning light is out, and what you have done so far and if the engine still stalls.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Even before all of this, although you could check is 2 seals are on the filter. Just check if the old filter came off with the seal intact. So, even before all what I said, see if the engine cranks over fine with the starter. remove the fuel pump relay so the engine won't start. Just to see if the engine is free to turn over or if it seized, which I doubt if it did. Unless, when you said "it will not turn over at all", you meant the starter won't crank, but some people do mean not start when they say "it will not turn over at all."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I said "won't turn over", the engine will not try to start at all. Just clicks. I've put a new starter and battery on it since this has happened and still nothing but clicks. The filter I replaced was the exact same one as before.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Did you find the old seal on the old filter?This doesn't sound good, a new battery and starter and it still just clicks. You might want to see if you can turn the engine over by hand.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Is the engine seized?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe so. Had a guy tell me that my cam bearings are probably seized up which is causing my timing belt to lock up. Any truth to that?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
It could be the cam bearings or a piston seized in a cylinder or even a crank bearing seized because of no oil. Nonetheless, it don't matter, if the engine is seized up, there is not much more to do except figure out if you want to rebuild, replace it with new, used or rebuilt.So, you did at least try to turn the engine over by hand and couldn't? By putting a 6 point socket on the crank shaft damper bolt and small extension if needed and 1/2 ratchet or breaker bar. If it moves any at all, remove all the spark plugs to relieve the compression and try again.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.