Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 years experience in the automotive and Lt truck repair business, owner Cardoctor LLC Guthrie, OK
36867192

Pontiac Montana: PWR SLD DR Circuit Breaker in my 2005 Pontiac

Customer Question

PWR SLD DR Circuit Breaker in my 2005 Pontiac Montana is VERY hot to the touch. I'm assuming there's a short somewhere. Where would be your best guess?
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried a couple things that have got me closer. Since the problem comes and goes, I decided to open and close the driver side sliding door manually 10 times. After that, the breaker still got hot. I removed the breaker and did the same for the passenger sliding door. Once I put the breaker back in, the doors worked again. This has helped me narrow it down to being a short somewhere around the passenger sliding door. I located the motor for the back door and wiggled the wires in there which caused the door to short out again. Wiggling some more made the door work. I disconnected all the plugs and reconnected them and everything seems to work fine now. It's possible that the problem will present itself again, but at least I know where to go look.
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.
most likely, the wiring harness between the switch and the motor will need to be replaced, not addressing the problem may cause a melt down and possibly worse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you direct me to the harness that I'd need to order/replace?
you would first want to complete a diagnostic trouble chart to validate my suspicion , these harnesses are sometime part of the roller assembly which is pricey, a good automotive electrical technician, may be able to repair the harness by isolating the wire that is shorting