GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Pontiac 1969: I have a 1969 Firebird with the 400 Pontiac motor

Customer Question

I have a 1969 Firebird with the 400 Pontiac motor with the cam.it runs like a champ however when I punch it down it bogs out on me like it's starving for gas.I just had the carburetor changed from a Quadra jet to a elderbrock 800. It does it only when I'm getting on it. Especially when I fill it with gas.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,The Edelbrock is good carb, just needs to tuned to your engine.Probably a little lean.Read your carb owners manual for jetting procedure.Get hold of a jetting kit.Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had several people tell me I had a vent problem. Because it does it a lot when I just fill it with gas. Thanks for the advice
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Does the car still have a charcoal canister, and purge line connected to carb correctly?If the tank is not vented correctly, the engine could either starve from lack of supply, or be flooded from a saturated charcoal canister if the plumbing is incorrect.They are great carbs otherwise, very underestimated.What model Edelbrock do you have, list number 1813?Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to get back with you on the type of carburetor it's in the body shop right now you'll be out in a couple weeks. Never knew anything about charcoal canister.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ok, just post a new question when the car is back on the road.Hopefully I can help you again.RegardsGary