Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics
18617752

Pontiac: ,do I need to use Dec-Cool coolate in my 96

Customer Question

hi,
do I need to use Dec-Cool coolate in my 96 Firebird
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...Unfortunately, the correct coolant for this vehicle is in fact DEX-COOL (orange-pinkish in color). Not that the green coolant "won't work", it's just that the Dex-Cool was designed to protect and lubricate engine parts like the water pump, heater core, etc. It also lasts longer than the green coolant in this vehicle. The green "will" do the job correctly, but should be changed every 30,000 miles rather than 100,000 that the Dex-Cool protects up to. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.