Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

Pontiac Grand Prix GT: Only when backing up I hear all kinds

Customer Question

Only when backing up I hear all kinds of noise from what I believe to be the from brakes. The "low traction" light comes on, too. Brakes work fine when going forward. I have been told that I do need a new right (I believe it was this one) axel because of a torn CV joint, but this noise seems to be coming from both sides. Going to the shop tomorrow morning and would like advice. BTW, I had the front brakes changes (pads & rotters) within the past year.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here
The noise you are describing can very likely be coming from the CV joint if the boot is torn, when the boots become torn the CV joint loses its grease and this can cause them to fail. The traction control light come on when there is a problem with the traction control system and in most cases its a speed sensor concern and if that is the cases the system will set a fault code, so when they do the axle make sure they scan the system for codes.