sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Pontiac Grand Am SE: 2001 Grand am, Stalls only in hot weather,

Customer Question

2001 Grand am, Stalls only in hot weather, all dash lights flash then a beep and the car stops, let it sit and it will start again, stall on my daughter 5 times yesterday, have had it to mechanics and they cant find anything and if it is not hot they cant make it stall
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There are many things that could be causing the engine to die. If it dies abruptly then it's losing spark, if it's losing power and hesitating as it dies then it's losing fuel. I don't expect it to a be a fuel related issue in this case.
The first thing that should be done is check for fault codes in the powertrain control module. Most causes of lost spark will set a code and that will give a starting point for diagnosis. Lost cam or crank signal or a failing ignition module are common causes of lost spark.
I believe the PCM itself is going down though, in which case there probably won't be a code set. The PCM could be going down either from an internal failure or loss of power or ground to it. If no codes are stored then it will take some electrical testing at the time it's acing up to know exactly what's going on. If happened five times in a day then it shouldn't be all that hard for a shop to duplicate and diagnose it.