Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Pontiac Grand Am: 2004 Pontiac Grand Am 3400 w/140K battery

Customer Question

2004 Pontiac Grand Am 3400 w/140K battery light came on and stayed on.
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience. 1. With the engine running, check for 5 volts at the alternator plug on the Red wire. If no 5 volts, check for an open Red wire from the B terminal at the alternator to pin 61 in the clear connector at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). 2. Check for 12 volts on the output terminal. This voltage has to be the same as battery voltage, if not check the fusible link at the starter solenoid. 3. Verify battery voltage is present on the Orange wire at regulator connector. This power is from the 10 amp GEN BATT fuse #49. If all of the above is good, the alternator is defective. I know you have tried this alternator on another vehicle and it works, so one of the three steps above should fail. If needed I can offer additional services for 5 bucks and continue this conversation through private email with diagrams and technical information specific to this vehicle. Please accept my offer for 2004 Grand Am Battery Light so I can better assist you. I hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any questions please let me know. Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you. Positive ratings are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.