Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

Pontiac Solstice: My 2007 Solstice grabs when I put on the

Customer Question

My 2007 Solstice grabs when I put on the brakes (sometimes). I had new front brack pads installed, but it didn't help. Now when I put on the brakes, there is a noise in the rear, when the gears are changing to a slower speed. Help! I've had it to four mechanics, but it doesn't do it all the time and never when there's a mechanic around.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Grease or oil on the brake linings will make the brakes grab. Check the rear brakes for signs of grease or oil on the linings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it is that simple? My car was repaired twice (recall) for shudder on low speed turns. Do you think it might be that again? At least it's a recall. Do you think it has anything to do with the transmission. I've been dealing with this for over a month and five mechanics have looked at it . It never does with a mechanic.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
No, I never said that was it. I only said it could be. Why didn't you mention the recall? If you have had 5 mechanics look at it then I will be of little help, since I cannot even look at it, test drive it, etc.When were these recall repairs made and do you know what was done to repair it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the recall was done twice and it worked fine after each recall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This problem is different. The brakes were not involved then.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
When were these recall repairs made and do you know what was done to repair it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When they did the recall, they did an axle lube and soaked the clutch plates with a friction modifier.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
When?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Plus you said 2 recalls. When was the other one done and what repair was done then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were done over five years ago. The same repair.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, yeah. I don't see what help I am going to be. I assume everyone of those mechanics had already inspected the rear brakes.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I could opt out if you like and see if maybe another expert on here as a different opinion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take your suggestion and have a mechanic look at my car with those suggestions in mind.Thank you.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good...