Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

Pontiac Vibe: I can put my foot pedal to the floor and my 2003

Customer Question

I can put my foot pedal to the floor and my 2003 Pontiac Vibe does not want to go. But if I keep it there it will eventually start to go. When it is running it acts like it is not getting any fuel. I can eventually get to 40 and all of a sudden my car picks up and runs as it should. After awhile it will start acting like it is not getting fuel again and starts to slow down jerking as it slows down. If I keep the pedal all the way to the floor eventually it will pick up and start slowly picking up speed. If I drive it very far it will eventually stop running. If I let it sit for awhile it will eventually start back up. And the whole pattern starts over again.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The gooey stuff may be the glue that holds down the metal plate which may be a plate to access electrical wiring depending on its location.
From what you have described here this sounds like a fault with a restricted exhaust component.One common component that will cause this here is the catalytic converter becoming restricted needing replaced.If you have not had an exhaust back pressure test done I would have this done and see if excessive back pressure is found.If it is then the catalytic converter needs replaced to correct this fault.
Thanks Pete